NFT Worlds (founded October 2021) is a fully decentralized, fully customizable, community-driven, play-to-earn gaming platform where users are able to create their own limitless metaverse games or experiences for players or exclusive communities within their worlds. 
NFT Worlds is based on Minecraft's sprawling open-source ecosystem, NFT Worlds is built on the backbone of decades worth of open source development within the Minecraft community and radically expands on it to enable an entirely new type of 3D voxel-based, decentralized gaming metaverses backed by the Ethereum blockchain.
NFT Worlds was founded in order to create the first truly decentralized, cross-platform, community-driven & developed play-to-earn gaming metaverse of its kind. Each of the 10,000 unique NFT Worlds is constantly evolving and developed by world owners or individual communities.
These 3D voxel-based worlds open up a limitless amount of creative possibilities to make unique gaming experiences, exclusive hangout spots, play-to-earn competitions and more.
NFT Worlds will become a sprawling, decentralized, massively multiplayer ecosystem of many interconnected worlds. With each world having in-game portals to many other worlds, as well as the ability for players to easily warp between their favorite worlds at any time.
The creators of NFT Worlds explained the reason why Minecraft was used;
"When we started NFT Worlds, we knew that in order to compete in the rapidly expanding NFT metaverse gaming category we’d need to bootstrap our vision using an existing open-source gaming ecosystem to create the thriving community driven world development, community spaces, community created games and interconnected worlds that we envisioned."
"We didn’t want to have to “reinvent the wheel” by creating our own unproven game from scratch, while also having to innovate on the NFT integration & decentralized metaverse side of the platform we envisioned. This would take far too long to deliver on."
"Having nearly a decade of experience working within the Minecraft open-source ecosystem and seeing everything it's capable of and the vastness of open source tools, mods, and more, we knew it’d be a perfect fit to power the decentralized gaming metaverse of NFT Worlds."
Bootstrapping the NFT Worlds platform with Minecraft at this time gave the following advantages.
A familiar set of game controls and ways to interact with worlds that over 100,000,000 players already know how to use.
Giving players access to NFT Worlds through the Minecraft game client on PC, Xbox, Playstation, Nintendo Switch and more thanks to open-sourced server bridging systems.
Simple but powerful world-building tools through the Minecraft client, WorldEdit, the MCEdit program, and more.
Full out-of-the-box support for custom game mechanics in worlds, 3D playable and non-playable models, custom texturing, modifiable physics, and more without building an entire game engine.
Immediate access to a thriving ecosystem of open-source mods, configurability, server infrastructure, and more to rapidly deploy custom massive-multiplayer experiences on top of NFT Worlds' self-hostable servers which enable the first truly decentralized metaverse.
Worlds will have server addresses looked up through a decentralized world name server that routes world access to the decentrally hosted addresses.
A simple to use, programmable system that lets world owners create in-world interactions that interface directly with smart contracts and web APIs in real-time, opening up nearly infinite possibilities for what can be built.
A thriving ecosystem of building partners that are completely familiar with the Minecraft ecosystem and know how to build fully unique experiences, custom gameplay and more within worlds.
How it Works
Playing Between Decentralized Worlds:
In each NFT World, world owners are able to create a limitless number of "portals" and each time a player interacts with one of these portals, the player is transported to another world and an exact location coordinate within that world.
This "portal" system opens up endless possibilities for cross-world collaborations between owners, interlinked world systems, worlds that act as "hubs/transport stations" to other worlds, smooth exploration for players across all worlds in the NFT Worlds ecosystem, and much more.
Under the hood, the portal system when interacted with by a player will cause their game client to do a lookup against the World Server Router contract for the connection details of the world the portal is transporting them to.
If a lookup succeeds, the player's game client connects them to that world's server and places them at the portal-defined location coordinate. Portals can also be used to transport players to location coordinates within the same world.
Console Play & Blockchain Interactions:
The NFT Worlds multiplayer consoles will be played through the Minecraft Bedrock Edition. NFT World's open-source servers include a packet bridging layer that allows cross-platform play between Minecraft Java edition & Bedrock edition.
Connectivity to worlds on consoles during this time has to be manually inputted into the game from a dApp. This will take console players less than a minute to do and once connected to any world, warping through portals to other worlds works as intended.
Because the Minecraft Bedrock edition cannot be modded like the Java edition on PCs, the team is unable to serve the same blockchain interaction UI. For blockchain interactions on game consoles, this will be done through a combination of text-based & native in-game UI.
$WRLD is an ERC20 token built on the Ethereum blockchain. It is the primary utility token and the token used when playing in an NFT World. It was launched in December 2021.
Players can use $WRLD tokens to access exclusive experiences, items, perks, content, and more within NFT Worlds. These tokens will be given to the owner of a world a player is playing in, in exchange for the specific experience, items, perks, content, etc as promised by the world owner for a token transaction. These transactions will happen through an in-game UI connected to the blockchain.
The $WRLD token has been integrated with Non-Fungible Token (NFT) Worlds in a way that nearly any in-game experience, perk, item or access to content can be created by world owners and require $WRLD tokens from players in their worlds in order to access or participate in such content.
Additionally, $WRLD will be required for purchasing optional, custom NFT World character NFTs, and may sometimes be required for unannounced global NFT Worlds perks and content in the future.
The maximum supply of $WRLD tokens is 5,000,000,000 (five billion tokens)
- 2,500,000,000 $WRLD (50%) will be locked up and targeted to be linearly distributed over a 5-year timeline target to players interacting with these play-to-earn mechanisms.
- A total of 500,000,000 (10%) $WRLD will be claimable over 2 different claimable periods. Each period airdropping 250,000,000 $WRLD. Both claims will be distributed to wallet addresses holding NFT Worlds at the time of their corresponding snapshots
- 1,750,000,000 (35%) total $WRLD will be locked up and distributed over a 5-year target timeline to world owners that stake their NFT Worlds.
- 250,000,000 (5%) total $WRLD will be locked up in the NFT World team's treasury. This $WRLD will be used for in-game promotions, new builder partner incentives, in-game events, and much more. This 5% reserve (250,000,00 $WRLD) will be distributed over a 4 year period at 1/48 distributions per month. 
- All 10,000 worlds minted - Finished October 5th, 2021
- World rarity & distribution data files - Released October 10th, 2021
- Minecraft support - Finished October 12th, 2021
- World manager dApp - Finished October 20th, 2021
- World syncing to update worlds on the blockchain - Finished October 30th, 2021
- World explorer dApp to explore worlds in the -browser - Finished November 14th, 2021
- $WRLD token - Released December 2021
- Multiplayer released - Released January 2022
- Open source multiplayer server released - Released January 2022
- World staking to earn $WRLD - Completed January 2022, Awaiting Certik Audit For Release
- Cross-platform playable (Xbox, PS, Switch, Phones, Tablets) - Completed February 2022
- Payments dApp for in-game $WRLD transactions - Completed February 2022
- Blockchain & web API interaction layer - Expected February 2022
- Multiplayer proximity voice chat - Expected February 2022
- Support for world owner created play-to-earn systems - Expected March 2022
- Support for playable 3D NFT character partnerships - Expected April 2022
- Roadmap 2.0 - Expected April 2022
Did you find this article interesting?
Aug 19, 2022
Aug 19, 2022